Recently I’ve been asked many times for thoughts on what exactly ‘healthy snacks’ are. First, we’re talking about snacks because you should be eating something every few hours. They do not have to be fancy. Just healthy. This will help increase your metabolism and keep it humming.
I have my own favorite snacks that I eat every day. I’ve shared those with many of you. They include cheese with whole grain crackers, greek yogurt, fruit, vegetable salad (with homemade dressing), and shakeology. But I realize that’s not much to choose from. Works for me, but I know some of you would like more options. So I asked my fitfluential friends on Twitter for their favorite healthy snacks.
So here you go, from some of my fitness friends:
- Power crunch bars, grapes, whole grain crackers and cheese – @MsPumpnRun
- Almonds, cottage cheese, hummus, apple slices – @clwkerric
- Hummus with veggies, homemade trail mix, protein pancakes, fruit, greek yogurt, unsalted nuts, rice cakes with sugar free jelly – @MissLegallyFit
- Homemade granola, fresh fruit, greek yogurt – @WholeFoodJunkie
- No bake energy bites (Recipe here: http://pipersrun.com/2012/03/02/no-bake-energy-bites/ ) @PipersRun
- Pour Kefir over frozen fruit, it’s like ice cream – @danisandy
- Veggies & peanut butter, almonds & apples, sweet potato pudding (Recipe here: http://makingfithappen.wordpress.com/2012/02/17/sweet-potato-pudding-delicious-nutritious-and-better-than-it-sounds/) @MakingFitHappen
- Grapes, green olives, hummus, walnuts or nut thins – @afoodiestaysfit
- Mix tomatoes, broccoli, basil, olives, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil and salt and pepper – @xoAnge74ox
- Fruit with almonds, greek yogurt with blueberries or banana, nut thins, peanut butter in a whole wheat tortilla, cottage cheese and frozen fruit, a good protein shake with almond milk, hummus and carrots, scrambled egg whites, guacamole with grape tomatoes, lara bars (link: ) – @BananaOats
- Banana date oat bars (Recipe here: http://healthyhelperblog.com/2012/02/26/two-winners-two-recipes/) – @Healthy_Helper
So there you have it. I hope this helps you find some new ideas…and I’m sure you can see, there are many common themes here. There’s a reason for that!
Here’s one of my fav salads for either a meal or a snack…fresh spinach, tomatoes, black olives, feta cheese, avocado, EVOO, lemon juice and vinegar. Yuuuummmm!
What are YOUR favorite healthy snacks?