So you already know you GOTTA eat breakfast right?
But you also know it should be healthy. And for most of us, it has to be quick and easy. Oatmeal is a quick, healthy option. That does get old though, and I don’t even like it at all. Most cereals are junk. Breakfast bars are junk. So what does that leave?
Here’s a little something I whip up at the office in the AM. It takes about 5 minutes total, and I only use the microwave.
Here’s what it is and how I do it. There’s plenty of ways to change it up, too.
It’s a half of a sprouted grain english muffin w/ egg whites, avocado, tomato and feta cheese. And some days if I have it, I spread a little greek yogurt on the english muffin too.
- I keep Ezekiel brand sprouted grain english muffins in the freezer
- I keep a carton of natural egg whites in the fridge (NOT the kind w/ yellow color added. Look in the natural, organic section of your grocery store. They should just be white!
- I keep a container of reduced fat feta cheese in the fridge
- In the mornings, I take a tomato and an avocado with me to work
- Pour a couple of tablespoons egg whites into a coffee mug and microwave on high for about a minute (just until fluffy and done)
- Wrap an ezekiel english muffin in a paper towel and microwave for just about 20 seconds. Just enough so you can cut the muffin in half since you’re only using half. Cut it, put 1/2 back in the freezer and then finish microwaving the 1/2 you’re using. Doesn’t need to be hot, just defrosted.
- Chop up half the avocado, store the rest in the fridge for a salad later in the day or something.
- Chop up half the tomato, store the rest as well
- Put the egg whites on the muffin, top with tomato, avocado & feta. It’ll be messy since it’s open-faced. Just use a fork and knife to eat it.
BOOM. You just made a healthy, protein packed breakfast that has some lovely, filling, healthy fats and even a little tomato.
You could adjust this in all sorts of ways, too. You could top with some fresh spinach, add the greek yogurt like I mentioned. You could even microwave a slice of turkey bacon and add it. If you’re not an english muffin fan, check out the ezekiel wraps. Use half. And definitely use sprouted grain breads, they are SO much better for you than even whole wheat bread.
I hope this helps!
I’d love to know – do you have a quick, healthy breakfast that is your go-to? Share away!