Wondering what to eat to lose weight? Or maybe you want to know what to eat just to be as healthy as you can?
It’s no secret, diet is extremely important to weight loss and health and wellness. You can work out every single day, but until your diet is clean, you won’t see the best results possible. Some people will tell you that a calorie is a calorie. If you want to be literal, yes, I suppose it is. If you have a lot of weight to lose, counting and cutting back calories and thinking about little else will definitely help. But there will come a time when you’ll plateau. Not only that, if you’re eating low-calorie junk, you’ll still feel like crap. Not to mention, eating low-calorie junk food will not help your actual HEALTH any. A healthier choice at the SAME calorie count will mean more nutrients, more fiber, more filling, etc.
So, put down the 100 calorie snack packs, the pretzels, and the diet ice cream. It’s worth it. You’re worth it. Your results will be SO noticeable, and you’ll feel SO much better once you clean up your diet.
But I know you’re still asking… “How do I eat clean?” True, 100% clean would be nothing store-bought, really. Maybe bulk grains and of course produce from the store, but anything in a box would be a no-go. I try to work toward this, but I’m not there yet.
Instead, I want to share with you what I believe is some of the most important things to eat (and not eat) that will make a big impact but also be reasonable for those of us who still need a little convenience in our lives…
Here’s my “Rules to eat by”:
- Get rid of enriched wheat products. Replace with items that specifically say “100% whole grain”. Doesn’t have to be wheat as the grain, you can think about rice, barley, oats, etc
- Drink water all day long, every day
- Get rid of sodas, inculding diet sodas.
- Eat at least 3 servings of veggies every day. (1 serving of leafy veggies like raw spinach is equal to 1 cup. Small veggies like chopped carrots & broccoli is 1/2 cup as a serving.)
- Eat 1 serving of fruit every day
- Buy organic as much as possible, especially the types of produce and fruit that were directly exposed to pesticides and all that garbage. Berries, greens, apples, etc are especially important. Things that you peel, like oranges and bananas are less important.
- Eat 1 serving of beans every day
- Combine the ‘must eats’ as much as possible. Try having a big salad for your lunches…include beans, seeds, etc & plenty of veggies, then you get it all in at once!
- Eat every 3 hours or so. Snacks can include small stuff if you’re not super hungry. Think nuts, greek yogurt, fruit, etc
- Try to keep meat to only 2 meals a day to start. Try to work your way to 1 meat a day, then if you’re feeling amazing like I think you will be, you can go from there.
- Get rid of as much packaged food as you can.
- Check product labels, look for stuff with only real ingredients. If you can’t pronounce it, don’t eat it.
- Remember to keep your meats lean. Stick to chicken, fish, and turkey as much as possible.
- Treat yourself some, but be reasonable. Have a drink once in a while if it’s important to you. But be real with yourself about how much you’re eating/drinking, measure it out. Stick to dark chocolate (72% cacao or darker), or red wine..or just a couple cookies a week,etc). This shouldn’t be a daily thing, work to kick your sugar habit. YES you can.
A few random *other* tips for well-being & weightless/healthy living success:
- Sleep 7-8 hrs every night. No excuses
- Take time every day to relax. No, sleeping doesn’t count.
- Drink more water (Yes, I know I said that already. Must be important, huh?) 🙂
- Work on speaking to yourself in a positive voice.
- Write out your goals. Not just your fitness goals. Write them all out and revisit often.
- Laugh alot.
- Make new friends.
- Find old friends.
- Help someone in need.
- Be nice to yourself and to others, even if they may not deserve it.
Soooo….what your FIRST step going to be?? Tell us in the comments below!